expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Born to Run? Little Ones Get Tested for Sports Gene............

My opinion:
Uhmmm, is anyone else but me disturbed by this? I personally find this to be very unsettling. What kind of tests will we run next on our offspring? If these tests do not come back the way we want them to, what are we to do, give the child up for adoption and try again for one who will be "more worthy"?

I am not for all these different types of DNA and genetic testing that have come about in recent years. I am all for preventing unnecessary suffering and getting rid of certain diseases, but when we bring it into the "not at all important" area of sports it makes me wonder. Is this really for the child or more to make the parent feel like "Hey, my kid is wonderful at sports - see the genetic testing says so!" In my opinion this is just another way to have competition between parents.

What do you think? Please leave me a comment I would love to see other points of view.

The Article that got me thinking:
BOULDER, Colo. — When Donna Campiglia learned recently that a genetic test might be able to determine which sports suit the talents of her 2 ½-year-old son, Noah, she instantly said, Where can I get it and how much does it cost?

“I could see how some people might think the test would pigeonhole your child into doing fewer sports or being exposed to fewer things, but I still think it’s good to match them with the right activity,” Ms. Campiglia, 36, said as she watched a toddler class at Boulder Indoor Soccer in which Noah struggled to take direction from the coach between juice and potty breaks.

“I think it would prevent a lot of parental frustration,” she said.

The rest of the article.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's stupid and limiting and just insane! Although I do believe that genetic testing is beneficial to actual health issues.

    ReplyDelete