expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Homemade Chow Chow or Hot Pepper Relish

I learned how to make Chow Chow today and it is SOOOO yummy!! I cannot believe I have never had it before! Thanks so much Shawn for teaching me how to make it and showing me how to can. :)

1 ½ lbs. ground jalapeno peppers
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups shredded cabbage and/or ground green tomatoes
1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
¾ cup sugar
½ cup water
1 Tbsp. canning and pickling salt
1 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp. celery seed
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced

Mix all ingredients in a large non-reactive pot or Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes. Place in hot, clean jars and seal. Process filled jars in a hot water canner for 15 minutes. Check seals and if any fail to seal, refrigerate and use first. Makes approx 2 quarts.