expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Flarking lice!!

Princess came home Monday with a note saying that someone in her class has lice!! Oh.My.God.No!

Nice so according to the note I should not even check my children's heads, but just go ahead and treat them as if they have it. Ok so this is my first experience with lice since I as a child, my children have never had it. I am clueless as to how to make it go away although I do know about the shampoo. lol

After much researching online I have found that I need to wash everything that is in close contact with our heads in hot water and vacuum. So I have stripped the bed downs and taken the extra blankets off the couch and chair to be washed. Vacuumed the whole house and I am trying to figure out what to do with the stuffed animals?! This afternoon when the kids get home from school I will wash their hair with the lice shampoo and do mine while I cross my fingers that this is all I need to do!

PLEASE wish me luck that this is easy to get rid of and if you have any advice PLEASE send it my way!!! Welp off to do more laundry! **rolls eyes**

1 comment:

  1. HI! I popped over here from Wordless Wednesday. Gotta ask: Where in the WORLD did that photo come from and was that caption intentional??? Hoot!!!

    Lice. Ugh! Hate lice!!!!!!! We had to deal with them right after the boys entered public school here last year. Yucky, gross, nasty critters. Did I say I hate them?!!!

    Praying you don't have to deal with it, but if you do, it's NOT the end of the world. Stuffed animals: two options -- 1) Run them through the dryer on high heat for 20 minutes BUT if they're fuzzy plush ones, the hair will fry. Better to stuff them in plastic garbage bags, tie them shut and stash them in the garage/attic/closet for 21 days. After that, anything that MIGHT have been there will be dead. (and added bonus: your kids might forget all about them and you can toss all 8 bags!) Not to say we've ever had to deal with that, but... ;^)

    Pillows and blankets: 20 min on high heat in the dryer. Washing helps to loosen the critters, but only the dryer on high heat will kill them. I once considered putting myself in the dryer (my hair was past the middle of my back at that point) but decided that was impractical!

    I actually found that the lice shampoos on the market, in addition to being ridiculously expensive and toxic, didn't work very well. I use mayonaise and a plastic grocery bag. Works great and leaves your hair wonderfully conditioned, and smelling very...pic-nicky.

    I wouldn't necessarily "assume that you have them". That's a lousy assumption (pun unintentional, but appropriate). Check your kids' heads, call a friend who knows what to look for and have her check your head. If you do have them, be militant for 11 days and you'll be done with them. If you don't have them, you can treat yourself to a manicure for the money you'll save in laundry and RID.

    ReplyDelete